Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ballet Recital

A few weeks ago I had a ballet recital at The Civic Arts Plaza.   Ballet started a long time ago in Italy in the late fifteenth-century. However, ballet became popular in France and the first school for ballet started in France by King Louis XIV.  Therefore, all the ballet steps, moves, and jumps are in French. I have learned many of the steps, but not all of them.  In ballet, a female dancer is called a ballerina and a male dancer is called a ballet dancer. In our dance class we had 9 ballerinas and 1 ballet dancer.  Ballerinas usually wear a short tutus, tights, and have there hair neatly pinned up in a bun. 

The dance we did for the recital was to the Fire Ball Polka (Feurfest) by Josef Strauss. To make sure that everyone knew where to go on stage, we had a dress rehearsal before the recital.  During the rehearsal I got my costume.  My costume was blue, with white lace, puffy sleeves and a flower attached to the waist.  My hair piece was a crown with flowers and blue and white ribbons on the side. 

During the recital I had to sit in the dressing room until it was my turn to dance.  In the dressing room there were a lot of yellow lights and mirrors.  There were also many other dancers also waiting their turn to dance, fixing their hair, putting on makeup and getting into their costumes.

Here is some photos from the rehearsal.



Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.




Do you do Ballet?

Have you been in any recitals?

9 comments:

  1. Dear Miriam,
    It looks like you did amazing at your recital! Everyone is very proud of you. You are going to have to show me a piece of your dance the next time I see you.
    Love,
    Luba♥:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miriam,

    What a great post I just loved learning all about your Ballet Recital.

    Thank you for informing me the history of ballet as I really never realise that it started in Italy I always thought in was in another part of Europe where ballet began.

    You sure did look the part in your beautiful coustume you had to wear.

    I have been to a recital many, many years ago and it was called Wind in the Willows. I just loved it.

    Keep dancing Miriam.
    From your blogging pal,
    AA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Miriam,
    What a wonderful costume you had, I did not see you dance yet, but I will come to your next recital to see you dance.
    You mom also was dancing ballet when she was your age and loved it.
    You have so much grace and you born to dance.
    Love,
    Grandma Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so pretty Miriam! I love your dress. Are you happy you got the blue dress? Did you get to choose your color? What a beautiful ballerina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Miriam,
    I love your ballet post.

    You looked very pretty in that blue dress.

    No I do not do ballet but two girls in my grade do.

    No I have not gone to any recitals.

    Ballet sound like fun but I think it will be a bit trickey for me.

    The Animoto was excellent.

    From your pal,
    Bianca.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Luba,

    Thank you for leaving me a comment. When I see you on Wednesday, I will show you my dance and costume.

    Love you!

    From,
    ♥Miriam♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Miriam,

    I am so happy to see that you are continuing to publish on your blog. I hope you will do so for many years to come!

    Your information about the history of ballet was the perfect addition to your recital pictures. It is always good to learn a few facts!

    You asked if anyone has been in a recital. I was once in a recital in that very same building, the Civic Arts Plaza. About fifteen years ago, I decided to learn how to tap dance. I had always loved the style, but never took lessons. Near my house was a studio offering adult tap lessons. I bought the special shoes and enrolled. I enjoyed the classes immensely and even participated in the spring recital. Although I was a little nervous, I enjoyed the experience of trying something new!

    How long have you been a ballerina? Were you nervous before you went on or were you more comfortable?

    Your former teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    Thank you for your encouragment and for getting me started in blogging. I have been a ballerina for about a year. I am now a level four and next year if I am good enough they will start teaching me point. Point is when you dance on your toes with special ballet shoes.

    Before I started ballet, I did gymnastics. Gymnastics helped me in ballet because I learned how to do turns, leaps, and got my splits all the way down.

    I was a little nervous when I got on stage but when I started dancing I wasn't nervous at all.

    Your former student,
    ♥Miriam♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mariam,
    I am a 10 year old student in Wisconsin. I am a dancer too. I take hip hop, ballet, jazz, tap, and cheer leading. You are an amazing blogger and dancer. I recently had a recital too. I have been dancing for 6 years now. I am impressed that you do so many things and still have time to write an amazing blog. You are an inspirational girl.

    ReplyDelete

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Please proofread your comment for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, simply choose "Anonymous".)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥